October 24, 2012

Chalkboard Labels

I recently worked on a project for a client that required labels. We decided that Chalkboard paint would be fun considering they have kids. First I took one piece of 3"x4" basswood and using a ruler and cutting board, measured how big I wanted each label to be. I then used a small blade to cut out each individual piece. Before applying the paint, I used a drill with a small drill bit to make two holes in each label in order to thread the twine. I then painted 2 coats of black chalkboard paint on each (you can find it in other colors as well). I used a small artist brush to paint the sides. While the paint was still wet, I used a toothpick to clear out the holes I drilled so the paint would not dry in them. Finally, once the labels dried, I cut two pieces of twine for each label (making them long enough to tie onto a basket). I ran into a small problem, the holes I drilled were too small for the twine and it would get caught and fray when I tried to pull it through. To fix this little problem, I just dabbed a small amount of glue onto my fingers and twisted the end of the twine I wanted to pull through the hole. Once the holes were threaded, I made a small knot on the front side of each label to keep the twine from pulling out.

Measuring, cutting, and holes drilled

Painting- using a toothpick to clean the holes

                                                           The finished product!
     Thanks for reading! Please visit again to see these labels in their new home!! The full project will be posted on www.tylerdrobinett.com shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment